Without a working AC in our homes, many of us wouldn’t survive the summer months. It is essential to our comfort and most people don’t want to go even one day without it. To ensure you don’t have to, it is important to properly maintain your unit and be aware of signs that it is time for replacement. If you’re noticing signs that it is time, you can be better prepared when the time comes so aren’t stuck without AC for any extended period of time. Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning is here to share some of the most common signs that will be present when it is time for AC replacement.
How to Tell If It’s Time to Replace Your AC
Like mentioned above, there are several signs that could be present when it is time for AC replacement. Sometimes, there will be a combination of these signs that make it clear it is time. Here is what you should keep your eyes out for when it comes to AC replacement indicators.
– Age of the Unit: you can expect to get 10-15 years out of your AC system. If your unit is over 10 years old and you are having problems with it, you may be better off replacing it altogether rather than repairing it.
– High Energy Bills: You should be able to see a trend in your energy usage on your energy bills. If you notice that over the last couple of months there is a steep increase in the cost to heat and cool your home, your AC could be the cause of the problem. Newer units are much more energy efficient than older ones and you may want to replace yours.
– Costly AC Repairs: Repairing your AC can sometimes be costly. If your air conditioner is on the back end of life, it may be more cost efficient in the end to replace it rather than to make a large repair on an older unit.
– Frequent AC Repairs: You should have to be repairing your unit constantly. Constant repairs will often mean that your unit is simply getting old and replacement is necessary. Repairing your unit all the time will be more costly than replacement.
– Your Unit Uses R22 Freon: This freon is in the process of being phased out. It is expected to be completely phased out by January of 2020 so if your unit uses it and is having problems, you may want to consider replacement.
– You Aren’t Comfortable Indoors: When your AC is running, you should be comfortable in your home. If your AC is having a hard time keeping up and you are feeling warm air blow out of your vents, it is a sign that something is wrong.
Central Air Conditioning Repair & More in Springfield, Granby, Holyoke, South Hadley, Monson Chicopee & Agawam Massachusetts
If you are getting ready to replace your unit or are unsure if it is time, you can count on Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning to perform an inspection on your current unit and help you know what your next step should be. Call us today!