With the recent heatwave that has hit parts of the United States you may start to wonder if your air conditioner will be able to handle the extra load. It’s tempting to run your air conditioner incessantly, but this can turn into a bad situation if it breaks down on the hottest day of summer. Not only does this become unbearable, you might be waiting longer than you like to get it fixed or replaced. HVAC technicians are very busy during the summer months, that includes emergency air conditioning services; you and your family may be very uncomfortable for days! There are things you can do to avoid running your cooling system full blast, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Heat Wave Safety Tips; How to Deal with Hot Weather
1. Close windows to keep house cool in a heatwave. The sun will heat your home through the windows and your air conditioner will need to work harder to keep your home cool. Close window coverings to prevent the sun from making your home warmer than it has to be. You can even purchase curtains that are designed to block sunlight. If the temperature cools off or drops significantly in the evening hours you can open windows to allow the cool air into your home. Your cooling system will thank you!
2. Programmable thermostat. Most thermostats allow you to schedule your AC run time. You want your home to be cool and comfortable when everyone is home but it’s not necessary when no one is there. Adjust the temperature to cool the home more just before everyone gets home and then be lowered when everyone goes to sleep. This will effectively save you money along with wear and tear on your system.
3. Limit appliance use in hot weather. The appliances in your home can use a lot of energy. Your refrigerator, dishwasher, washer, dryer, even your TV. Use the “no heat” program on your dishwasher, use cold water in the washing machine, and set a timer on your TV to help reduce the time you’re watching it. You should also try to wait till evening hours to run them when it’s not as hot outside.
4. Turn out the lights during a heat wave. It may not seem like a big deal to leave a few lights on during the day but doing so actually adds to the warmth in your home. Turn the lights off or set timers if your family has a hard time remembering to turn them off.
5. AC maintenance to avoid a system breakdown. You can prepare your cooling system for extreme weather with simple maintenance. When filter and ducts are blocked, your system needs to work harder to push air through. Clean or change the air filters at least once a month and schedule air duct cleaning to keep your system running smoothly.
Central Air Conditioning Repair, Tune Up, Replacement Services & More in Springfield, Granby, Holyoke, South Hadley, Monson, Chicopee & Agawam Massachusetts
Resist the urge to crank your air conditioner to limit the impact of extreme weather conditions and avoid the hassle of dealing with repair and/or replacement this summer. If you’ve done all you can and still end up with problems, contact the professionals at Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning for help.