Best Ways to Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Holyoke, MA; Heating Maintenance & More

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, and odorless gas that can be very difficult to detect. Additionally, it is hazardous, which causes up to 400 deaths per year in America and up to 20,000 emergency visits. Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur from multiple sources within a home, including gas or oil furnaces or boilers. Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning will share the affects and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and how you can help prevent it from occurring in your home.

Carbon Monoxide Symptoms

Some of the most common sources of carbon monoxide poisoning is from gas or oil furnaces or boilers, along with wood burning fireplaces or wood pellet stoves. Carbon monoxide is a gas that is slightly less dense than air. As stated, it is odorless, tasteless, as well as colorless, which makes it difficult to detect. When carbon monoxide poisoning occurs, it takes the place of air in your lungs. As many know, the air you breathe interacts with your blood cells. If you breath in carbon monoxide, it replaces air and the poison can damage the brain, muscles, and organs. With prolonged exposure, death will eventually follow. Those who have experienced carbon monoxide poisoning report the effects were similar to flu symptoms and didn’t realize the danger they were in. Some common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headaches, dizziness, physical weakness, vomiting, nausea, chest pain, confusion, and unconsciousness. If a person loses consciousness, it can lead to prolonged exposure and death.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is very dangerous which is why it is important to know where it comes from and how to prevent it. As stated earlier carbon monoxide often comes from furnace or boilers. However, furnaces or boilers don’t emit carbon monoxide naturally. The cause is due to some kind of damage to the heating system. Often carbon monoxide occurs when there is a crack or leak in the combustion chamber, has a leak from the seams, damages to the exhaust pipes, or an incomplete combustion process. Any one of these issues can occur in an older heating system or a neglected heating system.

Carbon Monoxide Detector

Every home should be outfitted with a carbon monoxide detector to help prevent long term exposure. There are many carbon monoxide detectors available. However, make sure you get one that has a sound alert system. Some only uses a light which can be discarded or go unnoticed. Additionally, have your home heating system checked before the winter or heating season begins. By having your boiler or furnace inspected and serviced before the heating season each year, you can help ensure the safety and efficiency of your heating system.

Furnace Heating Repairs, Maintenance & More in Springfield, Granby, Holyoke, South Hadley, Monson Chicopee & Agawam Massachusetts

If you want to ensure your home and every household member is safe from carbon monoxide poisoning, have your home’s heating systems inspected and serviced before the heating season begins. However, if you have already begun running your heaters, it is still never too late to ensure your home’s safety. For a thorough and proper inspection and service, contact Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning today.

Call Now Button