Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips in Russell, MA; Schedule Furnace Maintenance, Change Air Filters & More

Carbon monoxide is a gas that is colorless and odorless and can be impossible to detect if present within the home. Carbon monoxide is also potentially dangerous as it can lead to serious illness and even death. Some of the common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the flu. Carbon monoxide poisoning simply gets mistaken for the flu, which means the problem never gets resolved. As carbon monoxide is considered deadly and it is difficult to detect, Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning will share how to keep your home and household safe from carbon monoxide gas.

Furnace Maintenance

Carbon monoxide gas most often comes from a damaged furnace. One of major components of a furnace is the heat exchanger. If a furnace isn’t properly maintained, a number of problems can develop which can lead to a cracked heat exchanger. Once the heat exchanger is cracked, it will release carbon monoxide gas into the home, slowly exposing the entire household. If not detected and repaired, it can have serious consequences. With yearly maintenance, the furnace can be properly tuned up and is less likely to become damaged. Additionally, when a furnace is undergoing maintenance, the technician will inspect the furnace including the heat exchanger to ensure there are no gas leaks.

Home Air Filter Replacement

One of the most essential yet most basic HVAC maintenance tasks is changing the air filters. The air filter captures all of the small particles and dust within the home which help protect the HVAC system. When the filter becomes full, the air flow is severely restricted which causes stress on the unit. This stress can lead to a number of premature wear and tears including a cracked heat exchanger. There are many benefits of regularly changing out the air filter including enhancing home safety by preventing carbon monoxide leaks.

Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Lastly, it is strongly recommended for all homes and businesses to have a carbon monoxide detector installed throughout the home and building. Carbon monoxide can be impossible to detect and as stated, symptoms are all too often mistaken for the flu. To ensure the home is protected, a carbon monoxide detector is of great value in the home. There are many different types of carbon monoxide detectors and most are super simple to install. To help ensure the home safety, and to help alert the household to the presence of carbon monoxide, have a carbon monoxide detector. Some of the best places for detectors are inside bedrooms as gas can leak into rooms through the air duct system. Bedrooms are often small enough for the gas to become concentrated enough to cause severe illness.

Furnace & Boiler Heating Services in Springfield, Granby, Holyoke, South Hadley, Monson, Chicopee & Agawam Massachusetts

Carbon monoxide gas is lethal and is responsible for near 500 deaths each year. Most victims were unaware of the gas’s presence. To help ensure the household’s safety, never neglect furnace maintenance, be sure to replace filter when needed, and have a carbon monoxide detector installed. With these three essential prevention and safety steps, your home can be safe from carbon monoxide gas. If gas is detected, open up all the windows in the home and get everyone out of the home and call for emergency repairs. For furnace inspection, maintenance, repairs, and more, contact Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning today.

Call Now Button