It is estimated by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention that about 400 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning each year and about 20,000 people are admitted to the emergency room. It is said that carbon monoxide poisoning is most dangerous during the winter season. Furnaces and other fuel burning appliances or heating systems can emit odorless, tasteless gas and obviously, colorless gas. We often don’t realize we’re suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning would like to share why it is essential to outfit your home with a carbon monoxide detector and how they benefit your home.
Detectors Help Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide detectors are an inexpensive tool to insure the safety of your home and family. Carbon monoxide detectors are easily installed. Most plug right into an outlet or others run on batteries. For optimal effect, a detector should be installed on each floor of a home and low to the ground since gas is heavier than air therefore they often sink down. Battery operated detectors will need to be checked about twice a year to insure the detector is working. A carbon monoxide detector is invaluable in ensuring your home’s safety and to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention with Furnace & Boiler Inspections & Tune Ups
To help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, make sure you have your HVAC heating system professionally serviced and checked regularly. The main culprits that produce carbon monoxide are the furnace, boilers, water heaters and gas burning appliances. Especially when it comes to the furnace and boiler it is important to have your unit checked and serviced once a year. HVAC systems should always be serviced by a professional. We are trained and have the necessary tools to check for gas leaks and carbon monoxide levels in your home. They’ll know if your furnace or boilers may be producing unsafe amounts into your home. If a leak is detected it is important not to attempt to make repairs yourself. Often leaks don’t get repaired correctly or don’t get detected.
Do Wood Burning Fireplaces Produce Carbon Monoxide?
During the winter season many people will light-up their fireplaces to provide natural heat in their home. If you’re one of the many people that use a wood burning fireplace make sure the chimney is cleaned and properly ventilated. Gas from wood burning fireplaces can build up and back up into your home if not ventilated properly.
How to Reduce Carbon Monoxide Pollution
Other sources of carbon monoxide can also occur from generators or even grills. Make sure that generators or grills are in an open area and at least 15 feet away from the home or other structures. You don’t want gas to build up around your home and get inside. Same goes for vehicles. When you leave a vehicle running too long inside a garage they too can produce carbon monoxide and can accumulate hazardous amounts inside a garage in a short period of time.
Carbon Monoxide Detector Going Off?
If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, immediately open all windows and turn off your home’s heater, and all gas burning appliances inside your home. Some signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are dizziness or nausea. If you have any of these symptoms, you may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning and as such seek out medical assistance. Carbon monoxide binds to your blood cells and prevents circulation of oxygen throughout your body. Carbon monoxide poisoning can have long term affects if not treated and can even cause death.
Furnace Heating Tune Ups, Repair & More in Springfield, Granby, Holyoke, South Hadley, Monson Chicopee & Agawam Massachusetts
Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning wants everyone to be safe. You’ll find a carbon monoxide detector to be a valuable asset to your home and your safety. If you need to have your HVAC system inspected and checked to ensure carbon monoxide prevention as well as the efficiency of your home heating and cooling system, contact Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning today.