On average, furnaces account for about half of your entire home energy consumption during the peak winter months. With inflated energy bills and a seemingly ever declining budget, these days everyone is looking for ways to trim down their energy costs. However, in these brutal Springfield, Massachusetts winters, life without your furnace is at the very least uncomfortable and at the most down right unbearable and dangerous. Fortunately your home and office energy bills are a combination of different sources. By identifying where you waste energy, you can change your habits to reduce your energy bills without sacrificing your comfort. Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning has compiled the following top ten ways to save money on your energy use this winter.
How Can I Lower My Energy Cost this Winter?
1. Furnace Cleaning – The without a doubt, absolutely most important thing you can do to keep your furnace running optimally is regular cleaning and maintenance. Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning Inc.’s furnace cleaning service can prevent breakdowns before they happen and keep your furnace running in optimal condition.
2. Change your Air Filter – Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning Inc. recommends that your furnace filter be changed every 30 days during the peak winter season. As particles collect and compound in the filter, they reduce the airflow and make your furnace work harder. The dirty air filter will hamper efficiency and shorten the overall lifespan of your furnace, leading to have to replace it sooner.
3. Programmable Thermostat – A programmable thermostat can be set to raise and lower the temperature of your home or business based on your schedule. When you are away from home or work, this device can reduce the use of your heating system to conserve energy without sacrificing comfort. Since you know the general time when you get home or arrive at work, the thermostat can be set to have your home or business ready for you when you walk through the door. Contact Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning Inc. to discuss the best programmable thermostat for your needs!
4. Set Ceiling Fans to Clockwise – It may seem counter-intuitive, but by using your ceiling fans in the winter you can actually make rooms warmer! You can do this by setting your fans to spin clockwise. This pulls the hot air down from the ceiling and lower into the room where your family and pets reside. In the summer, use counterclockwise rotation to send the hot air up.
5. Water Heater Insulation – The hot water in the tank of your water heater loses its energy through the walls of the tank. You can achieve a much needed layer of insulation to keep this heat in by wrapping your water heater in a water heater blanket. They are extremely affordable and this tiny investment of around $20 will easily pay for itself within the first year.
6. Seal Leaks – Drafts pose the greatest threat to your comfort in the winter. Expensive heat just seeps out and cold air blows. Locate and seal up any leaks around your home or business with caulk and/or weather strips.
7. Keep Shades up and Blinds Open during Daylight – By opening up your shades and blinds, you can harness the natural heating power of the sun. When dusk approaches however, be sure to close the blinds and curtains to both block drafts and keep in as much of the heat stored as possible.
8. Run Washing Machine and Dishwasher Wisely – When washing clothes, always adjust the load size to match the amount of clothes you are washing, and try to use only cold water for the cycle. When washing dishes, be sure to completely fill the dishwasher before starting the cycle. No matter if the dishwasher is half or completely full, it uses the same amount of water and energy.
9. Use Compact Fluorescent Lighting – Compact fluorescent light bulbs use less than half as much energy as incandescent bulbs and have a much longer lifespan. They are available in many different lighting temperatures and colors.
10. Unplug Unnecessary Items – Unplug any device that in not in use or has remote operation; an LED light on hibernation mode is still draining energy even though it appears to be turned off. This vampire power accounts for 20% of national power expenditures. It’s a great idea to plug your electronics into power strips and when not in use, flip the power strip off and unplug.
Furnace & Boiler Heating Maintenance, Repairs, Replacement, Emergency Repairs & More in Springfield, Granby, Holyoke, South Hadley, Monson, Chicopee & Agawam, Massachusetts
Contact Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning Inc. for your furnace cleaning and maintenance now. We can perform a thorough furnace inspection, cleaning, tune up and undertake any minor repairs before they turn into major problems; ultimately leading to a much more expensive furnace replacement.