When your furnace is on its going to make a certain amount of noise, but there are some noises that you just don’t want to hear your furnace make. It is important that you are paying attention to the noises your furnace makes as the winter season gets started so that you can hopefully take care of any issues before they are bigger and more costly. Some noises are going to be indicative of more serious problems than others. Knowing what you’re eating with is important. That’s why Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning is here to explain what some of these strange furnace noises mean.
What Does a Bad Furnace Sound Like?
Any time you hear a strange noise come from your furnace, it’s cause for concern. There are some noises that should concern your more than others though. Following are some common furnace noises that are present when there is a repair that needs to be made:
– Screeching: Any sound that is screechy shouldn’t be ignored. It can be caused by a motor belt that needs greasing and can also happen when bearings are grinding on one another. This isn’t a serious issue, but one that you want to resolve.
– Rattling: If you have any parts in your furnace that has come loose, it can cause a rattling noise to be present when your furnace turns on. It usually requires a professional to find the loose parts that need tightening.
– Buzzing: One sound that you should be concerned about is any buzzing noise while your furnace is running. This can be caused by an electrical problem that could be a risk of an electrical fire. Sometimes, it is something less serious like a leak in the ductwork.
– Clicking: There are several furnaces that will make a clicking sound as it turns on. It is a problem when you hear a clicking sound throughout the heating cycle. This is often a sign that there is a problem with the ignition system in your furnace.
– Booming: If there is any gas that is building up before it ignites, it can cause a small explosion to take place. If this happens, you should turn off your furnace and call the pros to come take a look as it can be a dangerous problem to have.
– Short Cycling: When your furnace turns on and you hear it shut off not long after, it is known as short cycling. It can be an expensive problem and is hard on your furnace.
Furnace & Boiler Heating Maintenance, Repairs, Replacement, Emergency Repairs & More in Springfield, Granby, Holyoke, South Hadley, Monson, Chicopee & Agawam, Massachusetts
If you have heard strange noises coming from your furnace or your haven’t had your furnace serviced yet this season, you can turn to Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning to make sure your furnace is ready for the winter. If there are any strange noises, we will make the necessary repairs to get your furnace back on track. Call us today!