The comfort in your home in the summer months depends a lot on your HVAC system. Other than your roof, your air conditioner is the most expensive component to replace. It’s important to take care of your system so it can take care of you!
Air Conditioning Don’ts
1. Do not ignore warning or diagnostic lights. Your HVAC system has lights to alert you of a potential problem. If you see these lights blinking, it’s time to call a licensed and qualified HVAC technician as soon as you can. Ignoring these lights can lead to major damage or breakdown of your system that will cost more.
2. Do not neglect air filter changes. Dirty air filters are the biggest reasons for a system breakdown. Clean filters keep your system running smoothly and improve efficiently too. Filters should be changed every 30 to 60 days. This will depend on whether you have pets and children or if you have high pollen and dust levels around your home.
3. Do not neglect cleaning or servicing your HVAC system. It’s important to have your system cleaned and serviced from time to time. This allows your system to work more efficiently and last longer. It will also keep your energy bills in check.
4. Do not ignore AC maintenance. Your HVAC system comes with an owner’s manual for good reason. It tells you about maintenance guidelines and operating instructions. Keeping up with the recommendations will allow you system to run smoothly, efficiently and safely. It will also help you avoid breakdowns and save on energy bills. Maintenance should be done at least once a year.
5. Do not ignore refrigerant levels. When your system has the proper refrigerant pressure, it will run more reliably and more efficiently. You need to have professionals check the refrigerant levels.
6. Do not run your AC on a low charge. You should never run your air conditioner if you suspect the charge is low. Doing so will reduce the life of the system and it can lead to a complete breakdown. You do not want this to happen on the hottest day of the year!
7. Do not lower the thermostat temperature too low. Do not set the thermostat down as far as it can go even when it’s very hot outside. Doing so will not cool the house faster or better and it won’t get to the temperature you want anyway. What it can do is damage your system, ruin your compressor and totally kill the system.
8. Do not allow unqualified people to work on your HVAC system. When a repair is beyond the skill level of the person taking on the task you are asking for trouble. Ask for referrals, do some research, check reviews and make sure they are licensed and insured before you hire a technician.
HVAC Services in Springfield, Granby, Holyoke, South Hadley, Monson, Chicopee & Agawam Massachusetts
Do not choose a company based on price alone. Sometimes you get what you pay for. The best way to protect the HVAC system in your home is to hire qualified HVAC professionals. Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning is the company to call!