When it comes to your boiler, taking care of it can play a major role in how long it lasts. With professional maintenance, tune-ups, and inspections, along with regular care by the owner, your boiler has the potential to last years beyond its life expectancy. But over time, even with diligent maintenance, the boiler will eventually deteriorate and require replacing. At this time, we at Ambient Heating and Air Conditioning would like to share the tell-tale signs that the boiler is nearing its end.
How to You Know When Your Boiler Needs Replacing
1) Boiler Age: Different boilers have a varying lifespan, but generally speaking, depending on the quality of the unit, last between 10-15 years. With committed professional maintenance, the boilers can last a bit longer, but if your boiler is around the 15 year old mark not only will the boiler start showing signs of decay, but the older they are the less efficient they become as well as the older the boilers are not designed to be energy conscious and performance is not up to par as modern boilers are.
2) Indoor Discomfort: When you notice that your home is not consistent with varying temperatures throughout the day; such as cold and hot pockets, the boiler is not as effective as it once was. If this continues to be a problem, the boiler is deteriorating more and more until eventually it will not be able to perform its function at all.
3) Boiler Energy Consumption: Keeping tabs on your energy consumption is always ideal because it can be a helpful indication of appliances that are falling short, including the boiler. Noticing the energy consumption increasing is often due to the faulty boiler compensating and working harder than necessary. As the boiler becomes less efficient, the more energy is used, noticing the increase usage can help you determine the problem.
4) Boiler Flame Discoloration: When it comes to the flame on your gas boiler, the color should be blue for a healthy boiler. If the flame becomes discolored and yellow color, or black soot on an oil boiler, is a serious indicator that the fuel is not burning properly and carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is very toxic and can be detrimental to your health. Having carbon monoxide detectors can also be helpful in discovering a problem.
5) Increased Boiler Repairs: Frequent repairs in the last 2 years of its life are a typical sign the boiler is deteriorated. If you are noticing 2 or more repairs, the money invested in repairs b=might be better spent replacing the boiler all together.
6) Boiler Leaks: Boilers that continually leak, or require additional make-up water is a sign the boiler is coming to the end of its lifespan. Replacing the unit before the leaks worsen can spare you the expense of property damage that occurs in the event of a flood.
Furnace & Boiler Heating Maintenance, Repairs, Replacement, Emergency Repairs & More in Springfield, Granby, Holyoke, South Hadley, Monson, Chicopee & Agawam, Massachusetts
Whether you are in need of a replacement boiler due to critical deterioration, or simply want to be proactive and upgrade the older existing boiler, Ambient Heating and Air Conditioning can help you find the boiler right for you and ensure efficient installation. Contact us for all your boiler and furnace heating needs.