When your furnace stops working during the winter, it is enough to send anyone into a panic. Heating is one of those essentials that we all need as winter starts to truly set in. If you are experiencing issues with your furnace, you may not need to call on the pros just yet. There are several things that you can check to see if you can fix the problem on your own. Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning is here to share some troubleshooting tips that you can try when your furnace isn’t working properly.
Things You Should Check When Your Furnace Isn’t Working Right
If you are experiencing furnace troubles, you may not need to call a heating professional right away. Here are some troubleshooting tips that you should try on your own first as they may solve your problems for you.
– Thermostat: The thermostat in your home is the first place that you should try out if you are having a heating issue. You need to make sure that the thermostat is getting power to it and that it is set to the heating setting. This is a good starting place.
– Filter: The filter in your furnace plays an important role in its operation as well. If there isn’t ample airflow to the furnace, you could run into problems. Changing out a dirty furnace to making a switch to one that has a lower efficiency rating can help this problem.
– Circuit Breaker: It is vital that your furnace is getting the electricity that it needs to operate as well. Sometimes, the circuit breaker has tripped for some reason and that’s why your furnace isn’t working. Always check your breaker box and fix any tripped breakers to see if that is the problem.
– Furnace Door: On many furnaces, there is a switch on the door that is tripped when the furnace door isn’t completely closed. This a safety precaution that can make it so that your furnace is completely safe during operation. Always mark sure the door is snug and closed.
– Power Switch: On the outside of your furnace, there should be a power switch that looks like a light switch. This needs to be in the on position to allow your furnace to get the power it needs to function. It gets turned off during maintenance, so you will need to make sure that got turned back on.
– Gas Line: The natural gas line to your furnace will have a valve next to the furnace. Make sure the valve is open so that your furnace gets the fuel it needs to operate.
Furnace & Boiler Heating Maintenance, Repairs, Replacement, Emergency Repairs & More in Springfield, Granby, Holyoke, South Hadley, Monson, Chicopee & Agawam, Massachusetts
If you’re experiencing problems with your furnace and none of these troubleshooting techniques fix the problem, you can turn to Ambient Heating & Air Conditioning to get your furnace back up and running again. We will make sure you’re warm no matter how cold it is outside. Call us today!